RULES & REGULATIONS
What the State of Rhode Island Says About PAs
Physician Assistants are governed in Rhode Island by two sets of rules. Statutes are the laws which allow us to practice. Violation of the statutes may result in arrest, trial, and jail. Regulations are set forth by the Department of Health and help to further define the statutes and apply them in day to day practice. Violation of the regulations may result in suspension or the revoking of a PAs license.
The Rhode Island Statutes (laws) can be found at the following link: Rhode Island Laws for PAs
The Regulations can be downloaded/viewed here: Dept. of Health Rules & Regs for PAs in RI 2012 (PDF)The Board of Physician Assistants (RI Department of Health)
The Board of Physicians Assistants was formed in 1976 in order to carry out the Department of Health's role in protecting the public through its authority to license and discipline health care professionals. This is the board that reviews and approves the applications for new PAs coming to Rhode Island. They also make disciplinary recommendations. The Board's composition is prescribed by statute: two licensed physician assistants, two medical or osteopathic physicians, two officers of health care facilities and one member of the general public. It meets at least once per quarter. Additional meetings are scheduled as needed in accordance with the Open Meetings Law.Physician Assistants as Partners in Medical Corporations
PA's may now be shareholders in a medical practice. According to Medicare guidelines however, the PA can only own up to 99% of the corporation. The remaining 1% must be owned by someone employed by the practice that can engage in the practice of medicine. (ie. another PA or MD).